This is a great vegan recipe for cucumber raita. I used Yoso Unsweetened Coconut Yogurt which is nice and tart like plain dairy yogurt, only with a slight after-hint of coconut, which works well with curry anyway.
I needed to make this to accompany some aloo matar I made – it was a little hotter than I thought itwould be, but still excellent. And this raita on the side was a perfect match.
- 1cp plain/unsweetened nondairy yogurt (make sure to read the ingredients, I noticed some of them are labelled as ‘plain’ but are sweetened with agave syrup, which I think would cancel out the crisp tart flavour)
- 1/2 english cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped (grated would work nicely as well)
- 2Tbsp fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 3-4 green onions, finely chopped (I only used the white ends because they had been in my fridge for a while, but the greens would be good to add too)
- 1/2 – 3/4tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a glass bowl. Adjust seasoning with salt, cumin, and lemon juice as needed.
- Serve chilled.
This is similar to tzatziki, but without the dill – add some and you’ve got a delightful side for your next falafel.
Adapted from vegetariantimes.com